modifications > JBR Short Shifter
Why did you install the JBR Short Shifter in your RS?
Most stock vehicles that are equipped with a manual transmission have a stock shifter with a long throw from gear to gear. The JBR Short Shift Arm Kit is double adjustable to reduce throws by 20% or 40% based on where the user screws in the cable post attachment point. This JBR Short Shift Kit is also equipped with (3) 1/4 lb counter weights. The user can choose to run (1) weight, (2) weights, (3) weights, or none at all. I chose to run all (3) for now. That may change in the future. I also chose to run the 20% reduction, but I may choose the 40% reduction later down the road.
- JBR Focus RS Short Shift Arm Kit
- Sharpie to mark bolts
- Sweet Tea (optional)
- Liquid Wrench Penetrating Oil (optional but highly recommended to get the factory RS roll pin out!)
- 1/4" & 3/8" drive ratchets, 6" extension, a few short sockets (8mm, 10mm, 11mm, 13mm)
- Flat blade and Phillips screwdrivers to remove the transmission shift cable
- Air hammer with pointed bit (instead of the hammer method)
- 3/8" Torque wrench (10 lb-ft, 25 lb-ft)
- Roku shop TV with Pandora blaring (optional)
*A friend for moral support is always optional.
1. Install takes about 1 hour or less. I took my time because of taking pictures for this website.
2. Visit my modification page for installing the lightweight battery to see how to remove the battery and airbox to gain access for this shifter install.
3. Torque specs = 10 lb-ft selector shaft bolt + stacked weight bolt + cable mounting stud, 25 lb-ft pinch bolt.
4. Easily reversible back to stock.
5. On 11/04/17, I revised the shifter to the 40% throw reduction setting. See the revised chart below and pictures #55-61.