modifications > License Plate Frame Fix
Why did you have to fix the License Plate Frame?
In their infinite wisdom Ford decided to make the rear license plate mounting holes fit the European standard (since the Focus RS is made in Germany and it's a world car now). Because the European license plates are not the same size as the ones in the US a conversion bracket is required. Ford provides this plastic bracket, but the screws they provide are too long. If you (or the dealer) mounts the factory license plate bracket and a US license plate using the factory screws they will contact the paint on the rear hatch all the way to the bare metal. To prevent this from happening I chose to use larger screws and furniture protector pads.
- (4) Metric machine screws, Phillips pan head, Zinc plated class 4.8 steel, M5 x 0.8mm x 10 mm long
- (2) Metric machine screws, Phillips flat head, Zinc plated class 4.8 steel, M6 x 1.0mm x 16 mm long (included with factory bracket)
- (4) 1 inch Furniture protector pads (felt)
- License plate
- Phillips screw driver
- (1) M5 x 0.8mm self tapping screw
*A friend for moral support is always optional.
1. Not recommended to use factory screws. They are too long and scratch the paint on the rear hatch.
2. A single M5 x 0.8mm self tapping screw was used to enlarge the factory license plate bracket holes to accept the (4) M5 screws.
3. I tried a M5 x 0.8mm tap. The self tapping screw was easier to use because I could push it in as I cut the threads.