modifications > JBR Engine Mount
Why did you put a JBR Engine Mount on your RS?
The factory Focus RS motor and transmission mounts are not made very stiff in order to reduce Noise, Vibration, and Harshness (NVH). Because Ford and other OEMs are cheap they use rubber mounts. Rubber is too forgiving in most engine & transmission
mount applications for any type of racing, so we must upgrade the mounts.
James Barone Racing (JBR) offers the trilogy set of mounts for the Focus RS. I chose their driver side transmission mount as well as their passenger side engine mount. For my rear motor mount (RMM) I chose CP-E stage 2. Click on those items on my modifications page for more information. This page is for the JBR Engine Mount only that installs on the passenger side of the engine bay.
- JBR Engine Mount (Black = 80 Durometer - Street/Track)
- Loctite blue
- 3/8" drive ratchet, 1/2" breaker bar, handful of extensions, (15mm, 19mm, E10 torx sockets)
- T-30 torx bit and chingadera or flatblade screwdriver to remove bottom tray
- Floor jack and something soft to prop up RS engine on passenger side. I used a block of wood.
- Torque Wrench set to torque required in JBR literature.
- Sweet Tea is optional for liquid refreshment.
- Pandora set on "Steeldrivers" station.
*A friend for moral support is always optional.
*A freaking 10,000 lb 2-post lift would have been nice! Just jack/jackstands today. :(
1. Install takes about 1 hour or so. I took my time because of taking pictures for this website.
2. This could probably be done on a warm engine. I always do work on a cold engine.
3. Lay everything out as you go (old vs new). JBR has nice instructions on their website under the support section. If it doesn't fit don't force it.
4. Do not tighten the (3) bolts on the engine until you line up the (2) factory bolts in the lower part of the new JBR engine mount.
5. I can no longer use one of the engine mount bolts to support my UPR oil catch can. Instead, I used (2) zipties to hold the catch can in place.
6. I don't care how close you think an 8mm or other socket is to an E10 torx socket. Go buy the right socket and don't strip the (3) factory engine mount bolts.
7. Re-use the (2) lower factory engine mount bolts for the new JBR engine mount.
8. Put blue Loctite on the (3) upper engine mount bolts for the new JBR engine mount.
9. Easily reversible back to stock.