modifications > ETS Extreme Exhaust
Why did you put the ETS Extreme Exhaust on your RS?
The factory RS exhaust is a pretty good system, but it necks down in several places to eliminate interference with the AWD components. The ETS Extreme exhaust system has options to eliminate the mufflers as well as any resonator. I opted to eliminate both. Because this exhaust system eliminates the stock RS exhaust valve, ETS includes an Electronic Valve Simulator so you don't get a CEL or the dreaded "AWD Off" message. Smooth bends, larger piping, and less backpressure mean more power and torque. The downpipe arrives next week! The funky extra tube in the middle of the exhaust is a fancy Helmholtz resonator to eliminate harsh resonance discovered by ETS during prototype testing.
- ETS Extreme Exhaust
- M6x1.00x50mm Bolt Pack (Tractor Supply)*
- Welding Rod for temporary missing bolt fix until you get to Tractor Supply*
(*Only needed if missing from your exhaust kit)
- 1/4" or 3/8" drive ratchet, handful of extensions, (10mm, 11mm, 13mm, 5/8")
- SAWZALL or cut-off wheel setup to remove factory RS rear exhaust section
- Channellocks or manly hands to remove and reinstall existing red exhaust hangers
- Pair of Brass hammers to flatten bent flange on ETS Extreme Exhaust (Note: Yours may not be bent)
- 10,000 lb 2-post lift (optional, but highly recommended!)
*A friend for moral support is always optional.
1. Install takes 2 hours or so. I took my time because of taking pictures for this website.
2. For once you don't have to take off the damn undertray. HOORAY!
3. Sorry, car is dirty in the pics. Priorities bro. :)
4. I recommend doing this swap on a cold engine/exhaust. Otherwise you will get roasted a few times in cramp quarters around the stock muffler.
5. Lay everything out as you go (old vs new). There are no instructions. If it doesn't fit don't force it.
6. Only (1) wiring plug needs to be disconnected for this swap (stock RS Exhaust valve wiring).
7. Leftover parts = (1) large V-band clamp.
8. Missing parts = (1) M6x1.00x50mm bolt.
9. I purchased the optional Electronic (Exhaust) Valve Simulator to eliminate a possible CEL.
10. The entire ETS Extreme exhaust shipping box will fit in a RS if you put the seats down and seat bottoms up.
11. If you don't use brass hammers to fix the warped flange you will end up with a bad day. Google it.
12. Reversible back to stock only if I weld the rear exhaust together.
13. Exhaust weight comparison:
Stock RS exhaust
Downpipe + bracket = 12.4 lb
Midpipe = 8.2 lb
Rear section with muffler and motor assy = 33.2 lb
Total weight stock exhaust = 53.8 lb
Aftermarket RS Exhaust
Scorpion Downpipe = 6.16 lb
ETS Midpipe with Helmholtz resonator tube = 16.5 lb
ETS Rear section without mufflers = 9.5 lb
Total weight new exhaust = 32.16 lb
Weight reduction from aftermarket exhaust = 21.64 lb