modifications > Scorpion Downpipe
Why did you put the Scorpion downpipe on your RS?
The factory RS exhaust is a pretty good system, but it necks down in several places to eliminate interference with the AWD components. The Scorpion downipe has an option to eliminate the catalytic converter. I opted to eliminate it. Smooth bends, larger piping, and less backpressure mean more power and torque.
- Scorpion catless downpipe
- 1/4", 3/8", 1/2" drive ratchets, 1/2" breaker bar, torque wrench, tons and tons of extensions, wobblers (10mm, 11mm, 13mm, 15mm, 5/8", 7/8" for Oxygen Sensors)
- 10mm ratcheting combination wrench to remove ground cable from battery
- Large Phillips-head screwdriver to remove black undertray panels to access cross brace under downpipe
- 10,000 lb 2-post lift (optional, but highly recommended!)
*A friend for moral support is always optional.
1. Scorpion downpipe paperwork said 4.5 hour install. I took my time because of taking pictures for this website.
2. Undertray has to come off. :)
3. Car was washed last weekend. Should be cleaner than previous installs.
4. I recommend doing this swap on a cold engine/exhaust. Otherwise you will get roasted a few times in cramp quarters around the catalytic converter.
5. Lay everything out as you go (old vs new). There are no instructions. If it doesn't fit don't force it.
6. Only (3) wiring plugs need to be disconnected for this swap (Front/Rear Oxygen sensors and Airbox sensor).
7. Battery is heavy. If you are a girly man/woman/transgender ask for help. No problems here.
8. Bottom downpipe nut is brutal. You can barely see it if you hold your head just right.
9. Try and spray both downpipe nuts with a penetrating lube before you remove them.
10. Put anti-seize on both downpipe nuts when you install the Scorpion downpipe.
11. Re-use the factory downpipe gasket at the turbine housing.
12. Torque for downpipe nuts = 35 lb/ft.
13. Make sure to put rear oxygen sensor wiring back in the black clip at the back of the engine to prevent touching the downpipe.
14. Downpipe weight comparison: Stock 12.40 lb, Scorpion catless 6.16 lb, change -6.24 lb.
15. Reversible back to stock.